Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Something I'd Rather Forget

Going to this particular place will always send shivers down my spine and make my blood curdle - it's the hospital.

It all stems from the horrible three weeks of spending my time there taking care of dad when he was seriously ill two years ago.

I'd never forget the daily early morning journey there to care for dad in shift with my mom and siblings.

Ambulance Bay
Jan 6: Hospital

This time, I was there to visit a friend who is stricken with diabetes and unfortunately, had had her toes cut because they had turned gangrenous due to an infection. I got to know the news quite late.

It was with an extremely heavy heart that I went there. I just had to visit her and check how she was doing.

The closer I was to the hospital, the more I feel disturbed by all the familiar walkways, rooms, doctors in white, staff in uniform and most of all, the distinct clinical smell which assaulted my senses.

I could feel fear gripping my heart as I reach her unit because I did not know how to face her, what to say and how to react or comfort her.

When I saw her, I was taken aback at how 'normal' she was. She was her usual self, chatting with the young houseman who was making his round. She too was surprised to see me. I couldn't get her on the phone earlier on. Only later did I know that her phone was stolen when she was first admitted to the hospital some time in October and she had lost all her contacts.

I was surprised by her great spirit. I thought she would be totally dejected at losing her toes yet she was not. I found out then that she was in the hospital for antibiotic jabs following the amputation of her toes which had been done in November. I think she has come to term with it and she seemed to be mobile and still able to walk with the aid of a crutch for the time being.

I'm thankful to God that she is so positive. In fact, it was me who was feeling overly jittery and fearful about her predicament.

Sigh... I think I was over-reacting but I really could not control my emotion. So much fear!

I hate this stairway... :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...